Every New Year’s Day, people across the world eat black-eyed peas, believing it will usher in good fortune. This tradition traces back to the American South, with roots in African cuisine; we’ve taken our own spin on it with a delicious hot dog, perfect for a filling lunch or casual dinner on the first day of the year!
- Nathan’s Famous Colossal Quarter Pound Beef Franks1 Pack
- Hickory Smoked Bacon, Cooked And Chopped1 Pound
- Small Yellow Onion, Finely Chopped1
- Cloves Garlic, Minced3
- Fresh Parsley, Chopped3 Tablespoons
- Olive Oil2 Teaspoons
- Cans Black-Eyed Peas, Drained2 (15-Ounce)
- Cajun Seasoning1 Teaspoon
- Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper1/2 Teaspoon
- Hot Dog Buns8
- Cooked Long-Grain White Rice1 1/2 Cups
- Remoulade Sauce1/2 Cup
HEAT oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add black-eyed peas and Cajun seasoning. Simmer on medium-low heat until flavors develop, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep hot on low heat until ready to serve.
COOK your hot dogs your favorite way: We suggest pan-fried with butter!
SERVE hot dogs in buns and top with bacon, rice, black-eyed peas, remoulade sauce and parsley.