This indulgent Philly classic gets a whole new attitude by swapping in Nathan’s Famous Beef Franks! Making cheese sauce from scratch takes a bit of extra time, but the results are well worth the effort.
- Unsalted butter, divided2 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour1 tablespoon
- Whole milk3/4 cup
- Shredded white sharp cheddar cheese1 cup
- Kosher salt, to taste1 tsp
- Nathan’s Famous Skinless Bun-Length Beef Franks1 pack
- Red bell pepper, sliced1
- Green bell pepper, sliced1
- Small yellow onion, sliced1
- Hot dog buns1 pack
MELT 1 tablespoon butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often until smooth, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk until combined. Simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in cheese until smooth. Season with salt, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
COOK your hot dogs your favorite way. We suggest pan-fried with butter! About 5 minutes before hot dogs are finished, add remaining butter, bell peppers and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
PLACE each hot dog in a bun and top with sauteed peppers and onions and cheese sauce.